Half A Century Older Then America’s Independence
Fifteen miles from where America declared its independence, Bolingbroke predates that event by about half a century. The Spring House bears the inscription “1727”. The house’s original fieldstone, some of it still intact, was brought from Colonial gristmills along Gulph Creek.
In 1901 the property was purchased by Ledyard Heckscher, and two paintings by Mrs. Heckscher still hang in the living room. Mr. and Mrs. Heckscher retained the noted Main Line architect, R. Brognard Okie, to renovate, remodel and enlarge the home to what you see today.
In 1949 Bolingbroke was bought by Mr. and Mrs. Roy J. McKee. Ten years later, St. Martin’s Episcopal Church acquired the property and grounds from Mr. and Mrs. McKee for their parish house. St. Martin’s Church is proud to make Bolingbroke available for wedding ceremonies and receptions, parties and corporate meetings and events.
Our back garden area features an attractive raised stairway and landing and is frequently used for wedding ceremonies and photo shoots. The rear lawn provides ample space for ceremonies, team building exercises, and dining or cocktails. The large side covered porch off the living room is also perfect for cocktail receptions and dining. The large side porch area can be enclosed to create a cozier space or add protection from the weather. Cocktails can also be set up on the side porch.